Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Barbies.. and dead bodies?

Firstly I’d just like to say that I completely and totally disagree with everything Ms Prager had to say about Barbie dolls. I can see where it would seem that yes Barbie dolls were created as the visionary woman, but I think that is the reaction of an ultra-feminist. Though I do think feminism is a rad thing, I however have to draw the line with Barbie dolls.

Men get the perception we women should look like Barbie dolls because we let them think that for so long. If we didn’t like it we should’ve gone out there and showed them “hey we don’t all look like this, or dress like that”.

Also I think in the day and age were currently living in men have realized that we are all different, and no matter our shape, size, hair color, the way we dress, they don’t care. They understand that we come in variations, as we understand they do as well. Besides, even if men have this perception of what women should look like, don’t we have that as well? Though our idea of the perfect guy is different, we all have one. We cannot deny that every human desires a frighteningly perfect counterpart, but we all fail to see what kind of life that would be. A life without imperfections, no mistakes, getting everything right, I wouldn’t be able to survive.

Another thing I totally have to speak out against is her views on the sex parts on dolls and that correlation between male dignity and such, I just think that’s ridiculous. First of all Barbies have the breast shapes [they aren’t even that big] but they don’t have nipples. I don’t know about anyone else but I have never in my life seen a Barbie doll with nipples. Also its not like Barbie’s Vag is exposed or anything, it would be totally unfair for ken if his penis was all over the place and Barbie got to wear underpants. Where’s the justice in that? Lastly these dolls were made for little girls, people have problems now with body parts being shown in movies, let alone on dolls. Can you even imagine the kind of hassle it would be for Mattel if ken’s penis were exposed? Mothers would be in an uproar, there would be letters of complaints overflowing the offices of many. Kudos to Mattel for not being idiots and covering ken up.

On to American funerals and wakes, well this excerpt just fortified my initial thoughts, and I am now defiantly certain I want to be cremated. I mean to violate someone’s body is like grafiting a church or a temple of sorts. It’s disrespectful let alone inhuman. I mean I just can comprehend what type of person would ever want to, for a living, violate a corpse in everyway imaginable only to make it “presentable”. Then again who wants their body to be on display in the first place? I mean honestly how egotistical must you be to think that people would want to see your stinky rotting corpse on display for days on end. Wouldn’t you rather have someone remember you, as you were when you were alive instead of being forever haunted by the image of your lifeless decorated body? No sir, this form of body mutilation is not for me.

No comments: