Thursday, January 21, 2010

Ten Years

Save up all the days
A routine malaise
Just like yesterday
I told you I would stay
Would you always
Maybe sometimes
Make it easy
Take your time
- Grizzly Bear


10 years he said. He is 30 years old and he's been with the same women for ten years. Woken up to the same face, for ten years. I'm stuck on that. 10 years. That's an entire decade spent in the presence of another person, but that's not what I find the weirdest part. 10 years ago would make him about 20? I am about 20.

10 years, that is like me meeting someone now and being with them for 10 years. I wonder what thats like. I can't even fathom a couple years... but 10. I wish I could confidently say that I could care about someone that long. The first thing that pops into my head when I think about that amount of time is god, don't you get bored? 10 years worth of fights, and conversations, and kissing, and love, doesn't that get repetitive? I don't think I could do it.
I want to say I can. I want to be able to say that I know one day I will be capable of being with someone that long, but I just can't imagine that. How do people do that? Give me a couple weeks, a month, maybe even a year, and I'm out. I can't do it. But 10 long years, that takes something.
Maybe I'm missing something.
Maybe I am missing something.
But what could I be missing?

No comments: